Luchembe remains positive on Olympics qualification
Although he failed to qualify on Saturday at the All Comers Meet in Lusaka, Sprinter Kennedy Luchembe believes qualifying for the Olympics remains his target.
Speaking to NOCZ Media on Saturday immediately after he won a gold medal in 400 metres at National Heroes Stadium, Luchembe said he will keep working hard to achieve the target this year.
“That's my target and from the way things are looking I'm getting closer and closer," he said.
"I'm pushing harder, I want to become better than before.
Luchembe, 19, finished first ahead of David Mulenga and Samukonga Muzala with 45.50s which was also personal best for him and beat his previous time of 45.76s which he set in 2018.
But he marginally missed out on qualifying for the games with the standard time required being 44.90s.
Despite missing out yet again this year, Luchembe who returning from injuries which have bothered him in years past and seemingly getting back to his previous best believes this year has been a good start for him.
“These past years I struggled with injuries but this year I started with a season best and then after a personal best but I want to become better and better every day,” he said.
The coronavirus pandemic has also not been kind to the 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games gold medallist who was supposed to compete at the World Junior Championships last year but their postponement to this year meant Luchembe who turns 20 before they take place will no longer be eligible.
However he still remains eligible for the African Senior Championships which take place in Algeria in June before the Olympics commence the following month and will also serve as Olympic qualifiers.